Tofino Hostel Safety Measures
How to hostel in 2020
Times have changed a little bit, eh? While the Covid-19 pandemic is under control but underway, we’ve made a lot of changes at our hostels to ensure our guests and staff are safe and comfortable. Hostelling may look and feel a little bit different than it used to (and will again one day soon), so here’s what you can expect when you stay with us for now.
- Please make sure you read and sign the guest agreement that we send out with your confirmation email and pre-arrival email. Please read and sign the agreement prior to your arrival. It contains important information about staying with us during COVID-19 as well as information about your stay. It will make your check-in process faster if you have read and signed the information ahead of your arrival.
- You’ll find clear signage and floor instructions around safe physical distancing measures. We ask that any individuals not travelling together maintain a two-metre distance from others or wear a facemask when using our communal areas (i.e. kitchen, dining room area, lounge area etc.), including staff, no matter where you are in the hostel.
- We have a glass barrier at front desk
- We require all guests and staff to use a face masks where distancing isn’t possible. You can bring your own or purchase a facemask for a small fee at the front desk.
- Low- or no-touch payment options are available and encouraged.
- All high-touch surfaces will be frequently disinfected, including payment terminals and key cards.
- We’ll ask to collect or confirm your phone number and email address, to be used for contact tracing purposes if necessary. We also recommend using Alberta’s contact tracing app if you’re visiting a hostel in that province.
- We may also ask you a few questions about symptoms and travel history. Guests experiencing Covid-19 symptoms will not be accommodated. We also cannot accommodate travelers who need to self-isolate, who are subject to mandatory quarantine requirements or those who have arrived in Canada within the previous 14 days.
- We also cannot accommodate guests who get sick during their stay with us. Guests who get sick will need to check out and leave to quarantine or self-isolate at their home address/ .
- You’ll receive a check-in slip with your assigned room and bed (if you’re in a shared room) and more helpful info about the hostel.
Your dorm room
- Capacity in our shared rooms has been reduced by half so there will only be one person in each bottom bunk, unless you’re travelling as a group and the only occupants in the room, in which case you can use all of the beds.
- Your bedding will be waiting for you on your bed. They’ve been freshly washed and sanitized in hot water.
- We provide towels at front desk (10CAD deposit).
- We ask all guest who check out to put their flat sheet, fitted sheet, and pillowcase in an orange laundry bag that is provided in your room when it’s time to check-out and open the window in your room.
- Dorm guests must leave the room between 10am and 5pm every day, unless all guests in the room are travelling together.
- Our housekeeping team will only access shared rooms upon a guest’s check-out.
- Single-use items have been removed from all rooms.
Your private room (including private dorms)
- Your bed will be made for you upon arrival. Rest assured that all bedding and towels are washed and sanitized at high temperatures between guests.
- Please put your flat sheet, fitted sheet, towel and pillow case in the orange laundry bag that is provided in your room when it’s time to check-out and open the window in your room.
- There will be no housekeeping in private rooms during your stay.
- Rooms will be left vacant for three hours after guests check-out, to ensure the safety of our staff and arriving guests. Each room is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected between guests.
- Single-use and decorative items have been removed from the room.
- We’ve reduced the maximum occupancy of all shared spaces, including bathrooms. We have installed signage specifying the maximum allowable number of guests in the bathrooms at any time.
- We’ve installed plexiglass barriers in all our shared spaces, including bathrooms. This will ensure that there is a physical barrier where a 2m distance cannot be guaranteed.
- We also ask all guests to weir your facemask while using our shared bathrooms.
- Please be mindful of other guests waiting to use the facilities - keep your distance and give everybody space.
- We’ve reduced the maximum occupancy of our kitchens to allow guests to maintain a safe two-metre distance from one another. We also added an outdoor kitchen station with sink and cooking elements for extra space. Unfortunately, there may be times when not all guests are able to use the cooking facilities during their stay.
- Sign-up for a pre-scheduled time slot to cook in the kitchen, using the sign-up sheet near the entrance to the kitchen.
- The cooking areas will be available for one member of each travelling group as follows: 30 minutes between 8am and 10am, 30 minutes between 11am and 2pm, and one hour between 5pm and 9pm. This means, only one person per group can use the kitchen at one time - but you can all eat together in our dining room area.
- Between these times, the kitchens will be closed for thorough cleaning and disinfection.
- Please wash your dishes, drinkware, cutlery and cookware using the sanitizing cycle in our under counter dishwasher. You’ll find instructions posted in the kitchen.
- Capacity in our dining area has been reduced to maintain two-metre distancing between individuals or those travelling together.
- We do not provide any shared goods at this point (i.e. you need to bring all your ingredients including salt, pepper, cooking oil, etc.) and aloso do not have any free food sections in our kitchen. Please do not leave any food behind.
Around the hostel
- Hand sanitizing stations have been placed in key areas of our hostels.
- You’ll find signage indicating our reduced maximum occupancy posted near all common areas, including kitchen, dining room, BBQ/patio, bathrooms, lobbies and lounges.
- Some furniture may have been moved or removed to facilitate physical distancing measures (which don’t apply to individuals travelling in a group - as long as you maintain a safe 2m distance between your grup and other guests).
- Please be mindful of posted signage and staff instruction around the use of these spaces.
- These spaces will be cleaned and disinfected frequently, with an emphasis on high-touch surfaces.
- Hostel games, such as pool and darts, aren’t available for now. Group activities have been temporarily suspended. Outdoor activities, like BBQs and campfires, are still possible where proper distancing can be maintained - but have to be self-organized (i.e. the hostel currently does not organize any of these activities but we are happy to provide information about the best beaches for bonfires, etc.) . Please check with our frontdesk for beaches that allow bonfires or for activities happening in Tofino.
Food & beverage
- Free coffee and tea stations as well as our pancake station have been removed until further notice.
- The Provincial health authorities are now recommending to wear face masks where physical distancing is not possible. While staying at our hostel, all staff and guests are required to wear a facemask inside the building (i.e. whenever you are not in your room) - to protect you and others. You can bring your own mask or purchase one for a small fee at the front desk.
- We’re here for you! If ever you have any questions about how things work, we’re happy to help.
- Our complete team has undergone additional training to ensure we’re able to enforce the measures laid out above.
- We do a self-health assessment before each shift to ensure we are symptom-free.
- We will wear face masks, gloves and other PPE where necessary and appropriate.
- All our staff are living on site and we are members of the same social bubble – like a family. While you might see us without facemasks outside the hostel spending time together, we are diligent in maintaining physical distance from all guests and wear facemasks where a 2m distance is not possible. While inside the hostel all staff will wear facemasks at all times.
- Our front desk hours are currently 9:30AM to 12PM and 5PM to 9PM.