Tofino Hostel / HI-Whalers On The Point Guesthouse has always been committed to providing quality accommodation to all our guests in a safe, social, and fun environment. While the Covid-19 pandemic is under control but still underway, we’ve made a lot of changes at our hostels to ensure our guests and staff are safe, while not compromising comfort and fun. Staying with us during COVID-19 may look and feel a little bit different than it used to (and will again one day soon), so here’s what you can expect when you stay with us for now.
Pre-arrival Screening & information
- We have put together a list of questions for guests to answer prior to arrival. We email these questions with our confirmation email - so make sure you keep an eye out for it. Please make sure you click on the link in that email and fill out the health screener that we ask everybody to complete before they travel to our hostel.
- Are you originating from an area under a Provincial Health Order?
- Are you the subject of a provincial/territorial or local public health order? Note: A provincial/territorial or local public health order is typically a quarantine order issued to a person who has tested positive or is presumed positive to COVID-19
- Do you have any COVID-19 related symptoms?
If you have answered yes to any of these questions or are generally unwell, please cancel and rebook when appropriate. Thank you for helping keep our staff, guests and community safe and healthy.
- Please make sure you read and sign the guest agreement that we send out with your confirmation email and pre-arrival email. Please read and sign the agreement prior to your arrival. It contains important information about staying with us during COVID-19 as well as information about your stay and our house policies. It will make your check-in process faster if you have read and signed the information ahead of your arrival.
- Face masks are optional.
- We have a glass barrier at front desk
- Low- or no-touch payment options are available and encouraged.
- All high-touch surfaces will be frequently disinfected, including payment terminals and key cards.
- We’ll ask to collect or confirm your phone number and email address, to be used for contact tracing purposes if necessary.
- We may also ask you a few questions about symptoms and travel history. Guests experiencing Covid-19 symptoms will not be accommodated. We also cannot accommodate travelers who need to self-isolate, or who are subject to mandatory quarantine requirements.
- We also cannot accommodate guests who get sick during their stay with us. Guests who get sick will need to check out and leave to quarantine or self-isolate at their home address.
- You’ll receive a check-in slip with your assigned room and bed (if you’re in a shared room) and more helpful info about the hostel.
Your Dorm Room (shared dormitory style rooms)
- We are offering dorms to FULLY VACCINATED guests (i.e. you have received at least 2 doses of a vaccine accepted for travel, a mix of 2 accepted vaccines or at least 1 dose of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine). If you want to book a dorm please give us a call (ph: 1.250.725.3443) or email us).
- Your bedding will be waiting for you on your bed. They’ve been freshly washed and sanitized in hot water.
- We provide towels at front desk (10CAD deposit).
- Single-use items have been removed from all rooms.
Your Private Room (including private dorms)
- Your bed will be made for you upon arrival. Rest assured that all bedding and towels are washed and sanitized at high temperatures between guests.
- There will be no housekeeping service in private rooms during your stay.
- Each room is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected between guests.
- Single-use and decorative items have been removed from the room.
- We’ve reduced the maximum occupancy of all shared spaces, including bathrooms. We have installed signage specifying the maximum allowable number of guests in the bathrooms at any time.
- We’ve installed plexiglass barriers in all our shared spaces, including bathrooms. This will ensure that there is a physical barrier where a 2m distance cannot be guaranteed.
- Please be mindful of other guests waiting to use the facilities - keep your distance and give everybody space.
- We’ve reduced the maximum occupancy of our kitchens to allow guests to maintain a safe two-meter distance from one another. We also added an outdoor kitchen station with sink and cooking elements for extra space. Unfortunately, there may be times when not all guests are able to use the cooking facilities during their stay.
- The cooking areas will be available for one member of each travelling group. This means, only one person per group can use the kitchen at one time - but you can all eat together in our dining room area.
- Please wash your dishes, drinkware, cutlery and cookware using the sanitizing cycle in our under counter dishwasher. You’ll find instructions posted in the kitchen.
- We do not provide any shared goods at this point (i.e. you need to bring all your ingredients including salt, pepper, cooking oil, etc.) and also do not have any free food sections in our kitchen. Please do not leave any food behind.
Around the hostel
- Hand sanitizing stations have been placed in key areas of our hostels.
- Some furniture may have been moved or removed to facilitate physical distancing measures.
- Please be mindful of posted signage and staff instruction around the use of these spaces.
- These spaces will be cleaned and disinfected frequently, with an emphasis on high-touch surfaces.
- Please check with our frontdesk for beaches that allow bonfires or for activities happening in Tofino.
- Facemasks are not required while staying with us. Wearing a mask is a personal choice. However, masks are recommended in our communal areas that are shared with fellow travelers.
- We’re here for you! If ever you have any questions about how things work, we’re happy to help.
- Our front desk hours are 10AM to 12PM and 5PM to 9PM.
Our COVID-19 Safety Plan
- We regularly update our COVID-19 Safety Plan. You can download our complete safety plan here. Please fee free to reach out to us if you have any questions regarding our safety policies and measurements during COVID-19.